Marketing a local business can be a challenge. There are a lot of factors to consider in local marketing, such as the target audience, the budget, and the most effective channels to reach potential customers. However, with careful planning and execution, any business can develop a successful local marketing strategy.
This blog will discuss the importance of targeting a specific audience, the benefits of using local directories and online listings, tips on improving online presence, digital marketing strategies, and more. By the end of this blog article, you should have a better understanding of how to market your local business effectively.
What is local marketing?
Local marketing is the process of promoting a business to local customers. For example, local businesses can do it through traditional marketing channels like print, radio, and television, as well as digital marketing channels like search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, social media, reputation management, SMS marketing, and email marketing.
Local marketing aims to reach customers in the same city or town as the business. This is different from national or global marketing, which attempts to reach customers across the country or around the world.
There are many reasons why businesses would want to focus on local marketing. For one, it’s usually less expensive than national or global campaigns. Additionally, local campaigns can be more targeted and relevant to potential customers, leading to higher conversion rates.
If you’re a business owner who wants to start a local marketing campaign, you should keep a few things in mind:
- Think about what channels will be most effective for reaching your target audience.
- Create content that is relevant and engaging for your potential customers.
- Make sure to track your results to see what’s working and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Try to make it easy for your customers to book appointments; you can use appointment scheduling software for this task.
Local Marketing Strategies
Effective local marketing strategies aim to reach consumers within a defined geographic area with targeted messages promoting your products or services. Local marketing can be a very effective way to get potential customers, but it requires careful planning and execution.
You can use many different strategies in local marketing, and the best approach will vary depending on your business, budget, and goals. Many local marketing strategies include:
- Advertising in local print or online publications
- Participating in local events or fairs
- Sponsoring local sports teams or other community organizations
- Hosting events at your business location
- Distributing coupons or other promotional materials in the local area
Engage with the Community
As a local business, engaging with the community is essential to build a solid customer base. One way to do this is to partner with other local businesses. This can help you reach new customers and create a sense of community involvement.
Think about ways you can partner with other businesses. For example, you could:
- Sponsor a local event
- Participate in a fundraiser
- Collaborate on a marketing campaign
- Provide discounts to customers of another business
Local partnerships are a great way to show commitment to the community and build meaningful relationships with other businesses.
Maximize Your Local Business Listings
Local business listings are a crucial part of any local marketing strategy, yet most businesses miss out on this. Creating and maintaining accurate local business listings is crucial to maximizing your reach to local customers.
Local business listings are essentially an online version of the old-fashioned phone book white pages. They help potential customers find your business when searching online for products or services you offer.
There are several different sites where you can create local business listings, but the most important ones are Google My Business, Bing Places for Business, and Yelp for Business Owners.
Creating and maintaining accurate listings on these sites is essential to attract new local customers.
Here are some tips for creating and maintaining accurate local business listings:
- Make sure your business name, address, and phone number (NAP) are the same on all your local business listings. This may seem like a small detail, but it’s imperative. Inconsistencies in your NAP information can lead to customers getting confused and going to a competitor instead.
- Be as specific as possible when you’re describing your products and services. The more detailed you can be, the better likelihood you have of attracting customers specifically searching for what you offer.
- Include photos and videos whenever possible. Customers love visuals, so having pictures and videos of your products or services is a great way to attract attention.
- Encourage customer reviews. Customer reviews can be extremely helpful in persuading other potential customers to do business with you. Make it easy for customers to leave reviews by providing links on your website and social media pages.
- Reputation management software can be a great way to make it easy for customers to leave reviews. Many of these software programs offer the ability to send automatic requests for reviews via SMS and email. This can help you get more reviews, which can help attract new customers from local search.
Focus on Local SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is vital for any business with an online presence, but it’s essential for small businesses.
According to a report from Inter growth, “68% of online experiences begin with a search engine.” But if your business doesn’t appear in local search results, you’re missing out on potential customers.
That’s where local SEO comes in. Local SEO is optimizing your website and online presence for local search results, to make it easier for people in your area to find you when searching for businesses like yours.
There are a few key things you can do to improve your local SEO and improve visibility in local searches:
- Add your business to online directories and review sites
- Ensure your NAP (name, address, phone number) is consistent across all platforms
- Add photos and videos
- Encourage customer reviews
- Build citations
- Optimize your website for mobile
Run Google Ads
It is a fact that SEO takes time, and if you are in a hurry and your budget allows you to start your digital marketing, you can try running Google Ads or Google Local Services Ads.
Google Ads is a great way to reach a local audience, and there are several ways to implement local marketing strategies using this tool.
For example, you can target customers in a specific area, create ads specifically for mobile users, and even use location-based keywords to ensure that your ads are seen by people searching for products or services in your area.
With so many options available, knowing where to start can be challenging. However, by taking the time to understand how Google Ads works and what options are available, you can create an effective campaign that will reach many potential customers.
Run local Facebook Ads
Apart from google ads, Facebook also allows businesses to use its platform to run ads. Advertising on social media channels are common part of an effective local marketing strategy.
You can use Facebook advertising to promote local events, products, and services to people in your area. You can target by location, age, gender, interests, and more.
There are a few different ways to run Facebook ads for your local business:
- Event ads: You can create an ad to promote a sale, contest, or another special event at your store. Make sure to include all the relevant details,, like date, time, and location.
- Product ads: Use product ads to showcase specific items that you’re selling. You can include a product description, price, and photos or videos.
- Service ads: similar to product ads, service ads highlight the different services that your business offers. For example, if you’re a salon, you could create an advertisement for haircuts, color services, or styling.
Use Reputation Management Software to generate/collect reviews
As a local business, your online reputation is essential. Customers are more likely to do business with a company with positive reviews. This is where the reputation management software comes in. The software can help you generate more reviews from happy customers and collect them in one place.
This can significantly improve your online reputation and attract new customers without burning a hole in your pocket.
Here are 7 ways reputation management software improves your services:
- It will help you to request reviews from your previous customers with the click of a button via text message, email, or social media.
- More reviews result in a better online reputation and more customers.
- The ability to see all your reviews in one place makes it easy to track your progress.
- Receive real-time alerts whenever you receive a new review so you can address any negative feedback quickly.
- Boosts your local SEO and helps you rank better and higher.
- It helps you build a healthy and loyal relationship with your customers.
- It allows you to skip the embarrassment of asking for a review (we’ve all been there).
Optimize your Google Business Profile
As a local business, you must ensure you’re visible when people search for you on search engines and mobile devices. One way to do this is to optimize your Google Business Profile.
Here are some tips on how to do this:
- Include accurate and up-to-date information about your business, such as your hours, website, and contact information.
- Add photos and videos that show potential customers what your business looks like and what it has to offer.
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on your profile, which can help improve your visibility in search results.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your business is easy to find online, leading to more customers through your door.
Make Local Business Contacts
As a small business owner, you might not have the time or budget to invest in a full-scale marketing campaign. However, some local marketing strategies can be highly effective and won’t break the bank.
Another great way to market your business is to network with other small businesses. Attend Chamber of Commerce events, trade shows, and networking events. Get to know other small business owners and find out what’s working for them. You can also serve as a guest speaker or panelist at local events.
By taking advantage of these local marketing strategies, you can reach new customers and grow your small business without spending much money.
Create a Loyalty Program
Many businesses offer loyalty programs to draw in customers and create loyalty. This can be as simple as a punch card, where the customer gets a free item or discount after a certain number of purchases.
For example, a coffee shop may give customers a free drink after purchasing 10. Other loyalty programs include points systems, where customers can rack up points to redeem for prizes or tiered programs that offer deeper discounts the more often a customer visits.
Loyalty programs are beneficial for both the customer and the business. The customer feels like they are being rewarded for their patronage, which creates goodwill—the business benefits by growing its customer base and developing repeat business.
When creating a loyalty program, businesses should consider their target audience, and the type of incentive best suits them. For example, families might be more likely to take advantage of a program that offers discounts on kids’ meals, while busy professionals might prefer a program that provides expedited service.
By tailoring the loyalty program to the needs of its target market, businesses can create an effective marketing tool that will help them build relationships with their customers and grow their small business.
If your business doesn’t have anything in place to encourage repeat business, it’s time you implemented loyalty programs in your marketing strategy.
Monitor and maintain your directory listings
To ensure your local business appears in search results, you must first claim and monitor your local business listings. You can do this by going to Google My Business, Bing Places for Business, and other online directories.
Once you’ve claimed your listing, keep your NAP (name, address, and phone number) up to date. You should also regularly add new photos and updated information about your business, such as holiday hours or special promotions.
Add relevant local info to your location pages using Wikipedia
If you haven’t noticed, Wikipedia comes up a lot in Google searches, especially in the “People Also Ask” and “Featured Snippets” sections. This is because Wikipedia is considered an authority site by Google. So, getting your small business to come up on Wikipedia can help you with your local search engine optimization (SEO).
To do this, start by creating a Wikipedia page for your business. Be sure to include relevant information about your location, such as the city and state in which it’s located. You should also have a description of your business and any relevant links.
Once you’ve created your Wikipedia page, you can add it to your website. For example, you can add a link to your website’s home page or embed the Wikipedia page. Doing this will help Google understand that your website is relevant to the search term “local business.”
It may take some time for your Wikipedia page to appear in Google searches, but once it does, it can be a valuable asset to build trust and get in front of your local audience.
Promote your latest customer reviews on Facebook
Run a contest or giveaway
Small businesses can use local marketing strategies to generate excitement and foot traffic from their local audience.
One popular tactic is to sponsor local events or participate in community events. This shows your support for the local community and helps you get your brand in front of new people.
Another great way to connect with potential customers is to run a contest or giveaway. You can do it online or offline, and it’s a great way to get people interested in your business. Make sure to promote your contest or giveaway beforehand to get as many people as possible participating.
Post in Facebook Groups
Posting in Facebook groups is one of the most effective online marketing strategies. It allows you to reach many potential customers in your area with minimal effort.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of this social media strategy:
- Make sure you’re posting in relevant groups that consist of your target local audience. There’s no point in posting about your business in a group that has nothing to do with it.
- Don’t spam the group with your posts. One or two per week is plenty.
- Engage with other members of the group. Comment on their posts, answer their questions, and be active. This will make people more likely to pay attention to your posts.
- Make sure your posts are engrossing and offer value to group members. Don’t just post a link to your website – give people a reason to click on it.
Use local hashtags
As a local business, getting involved in the community is an essential part of your local marketing strategy. And one great way to do that is by using local hashtags.
Local hashtags are a great way to connect with other businesses and individuals in your area. They can help you raise awareness for your business and find new customers.
To find local hashtags, search on Twitter or Instagram. For example, if you’re a bakery in Los Angeles, you might search for #LAeats or #DTLA.
Once you’ve found some relevant hashtags, start using them! Use them in your social media posts, and encourage your customers and employees to use them.
Hashtags are a great way to connect with your local community and promote your business. So implement them in your online marketing strategy today!
Connect with local influencers
Find out who the up-and-coming local celebrities and social media influencers are in your area and connect with them. You should promote your local market first if you’re a local business.
There are several ways to get involved with local media, such as sponsoring a little league team, nominating someone for a regional award, or writing letters to the editor of your local paper.
Send locally-focused emails
As a local business, you can already know your target market well. You can use this knowledge in your marketing efforts by sending emails focused on local interest stories, events, and deals.
Your email list is valuable; you should segment it to send targeted messages to different groups. For example, if you have a list of past customers, you can send them emails about special deals or new products.
In addition, you can send them emails about collaborative marketing opportunities if you have a list of other local businesses. You can even offer incentives in groups that consist of local business owners.
By sending locally-focused emails, you’ll be able to build relationships with your customers and grow your business.
In conclusion, small business owners have a lot to think about when it comes to marketing their business. One can use various strategies to reach their local market, and the right mix of tactics will vary from business to business. However, there are some general principles that all businesses should keep in mind.
First and foremost, small businesses need to be visible on search engines. To do this, they need to ensure their website is optimized for local search and that they are active on social media.
Local listing software and reputation management software can be beneficial for local businesses. These tools can help enterprises to manage their online presence and ensure that they appear correctly on search engine results pages.
In addition, reputation management software can help businesses track and respond to online reviews. This can be essential for companies that rely on online reviews to attract new customers.
Additionally, small businesses must focus on building relationships with their local audience. By getting involved with local events and becoming a trusted resource, small companies can create a loyal customer base that will help them succeed in the long run.
What you should do now
Whenever you’re ready… here are 3 ways we can help you grow your business:
- Book a Free Demo Session. If you want to generate demand, increase customer loyalty, and become the obvious choice – look no further. Maven HQ is a powerful marketing & sales automation CRM that can help you increase online visibility, collect reviews, generate leads, book more appointments, and tons more. Book your FREE Demo Session to see how Maven HQ can grow your business fast. First, one of our growth experts will understand your current marketing challenges, then we’ll show you how Maven HQ can solve those problems and help you grow fast.
- If you’d like to learn the exact demand, loyalty, and reputation strategies we use for free, go to our blog or visit our resources section, where you can download playbooks, templates, and tutorials we use for our most successful clients.
- If you know another CMO, entrepreneur, or business owner who’d enjoy reading this page, share it with them via email, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook using the buttons below.
Want more posts like this one?
Get them Straight To Your Inbox.
We hate spam and promise not to spam you. We’ll only send you content that is practical, proven, and based on successes from our most successful clients.